In a day when obesity is rising at an exponential rate, when heart disease is the number one killer among women...

The time has come ladies, to stop the madness and take matters in to our own hands. The time has come for eating right!
We hereby proclaim to stop filling our bodies with artificial toxins and take a stand against the attack on our health!

Join us in our quest, and if you fail, well, one dove chocolate never killed anyone.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 6

Still holding strong! This sugar fast is not easy, but it is very rewarding. A lot of people have been treating me like I'm some extremist, like those people who don't eat fruit unless it fell from the tree on its own-we don't want to murder an apple, after all. But I don't feel like an extremist. People say moderation in all things. I say, moderation in all GOOD things, in all necessary things. Processed icky sugar is not good for us, nor is it necessary. People argue that we need sugar and it is not good for our bodies to cut it out. I agree. Where is Mr. Atkin in this discussion? Oh yes, he's not allowed. Because we do eat good carbs, we do eat fruit and natural sugars. We just stay away from the poison.

I have had an easier time than I expected turning down yummy desserts and sugar. I drank an Indian tea on Sat, and the restaurant had no honey. So, as much as I adore that tea sweetened, I drank it sweetless. Surprisingly, it didn't bother me. When rice pudding dessert came, I was tempted. Rationalization is our truest enemy in this quest for good health. "It is just one time," "I deserve it," "It's not like once will hurt." BAAAA. Ignore that voice! Once you have controlled your cravings, rather than let them control you, you will be in a position to reward yourself from time to time, should you choose. We are not at that point yet. We are still battling for control.

We are changing our mindset, rewiring our brain, and mastering our body. Once we have don't this, through this sugar fast, we will think differently. We will want to find ways to make fresh fruit deserts and agave sweetened ice cream. We will be able to eat birthday cake at someone's party-should we choose-and it won't suck us into a downward spiral into sugar addiction. We must stop the sugar dependency if we ever hope to truly attain good health. We can do it!!

3 comments:

  1. Ps Don't be fooled by my optimism. I am dying for a bowl of ice cream and some candy! I want me some dessert! It literally feels like I need it. Like when you are thirsty and need water. Is this similar to cigarette addiction? The mere fact that we feel like we need sugar so bad should be reason enough to recognize how bad it is and fight to be free of its control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I read your post and was about to say, "yes we can! I admire your strength!" Because I have been sitting here telling myself that I am full and that my chocolate coconut agave ice cream (so good!) is not the only thing I need to survive this night. Then I read your comment, and I feel much less weak. Even though it is sugar-free, it is dessert and like you said, I feel like I need it and therefore the craving is controlling me. I want to get the dependancy of daily desserts out of my system. I'm curious as to when that point will come, because it sure hasn't happened yet!
    p.s. didn't you think our blog would be famous by now? What's taking so long?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude I know! Where are all our fans! We do have five followers though. Yay! Are you guys there?? :)

    Janette, I know the solution to stopping the daily sweets thing. I feel like I need to finish off a meal with something sweet every day. But strong will aside, I don't have the option! Here is the solution...move to a lame city that has NO health food store and NO healthy food section-therefore no agave sweetened ice cream-and become a broke grad student like me who probably couldn't afford the stuff often anyways.

    So, move to a lame place, and go broke. It is all about sacrifice Janette.

    ReplyDelete