In a day when obesity is rising at an exponential rate, when heart disease is the number one killer among women...

The time has come ladies, to stop the madness and take matters in to our own hands. The time has come for eating right!
We hereby proclaim to stop filling our bodies with artificial toxins and take a stand against the attack on our health!

Join us in our quest, and if you fail, well, one dove chocolate never killed anyone.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 2/3

I'm surviving. I'm more than surviving. All these talks of withdrawals seem to be a bit exaggerated. Don't get me wrong, candy and ice cream sound great, but I'm not like dying to have them. I think there are three reasons for this.

1. It's only day 3.
2. As Janette pointed out, I have technically only cut out 10% of my sugar intake (the portion that is attributed to actual sweets such as candy and ice cream.)
3. I understand the benefits of not having sugar, one again, as my expert sister pointed out, and it makes it very easy to feel good about staying away from it.

In any case, I am very pleased with how I feel thus far. I tried this a few months ago, only for a few weeks (holidays hit), and I really did notice a difference. I am thin, but I have always had a tiny little pooch that I couldn't get rid of. All the crunches in the world didn't make a dent. A few weeks off sugar, however, and I dropped those last few pounds and had a really flat stomach. I know this is about health, not weight, but the point is that my body was healthier and thus didn't hang on to excess nastiness.

My next goal will be to remove sugar completely. This will be accomplished by staying a way from processed and artificial foods altogether. It requires planning and spending more money, so as soon as I am settled in my new house and JD in his new job, it will be much more feasible. I can't wait. BBQ sauce, ketchup, dressings, many things have crap. We can learn to identify them by memorizing the crazy names Janette told us about, and really get stricter about our nastiness intake. For now, I feel good about this step to stay away from blatant sugar. One step at a time.

If you are new to the blog, and are debating joining our sugar free mission, DO IT. It doesn't matter if we are a few days into it, you can follow along whenever you are ready and post what day/step you are at as you go. If you have started this quest with us, please let us know how it is going for you!

3 comments:

  1. I'm kind of doing the opposite of you. I'm trying to cut out all the sugar intake I didn't notice before, i.e. in breads, sauces, and really anything out of a package. However I am going to have an intentional dessert once a week. Homemade so I know what's in it and try to use more "pure" ingredients. That way I can have something to look forward to and I don't have to feel guilty about it. At least that's the plan for now. Hopefully someday I will think and orange is a wonderful satisfying dessert. Until then trying will have to due.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I crave chocolate every night, which only proves how addicted I am and makes me glad to be temporarily off of it. But for the majority of the day, I feel good. My snacs are all fruit and organic peanut butter, that's it. Lots of veggies and whole grains for meals. I have always eaten this way, but I have always had quick "healhty" snacks that prove to be full of sugar. I literally feel more pure at the end of the day, if that makes sense. And I am curious to see if I loose my little "pooch" as well. Nasty little thing.

    ReplyDelete