In a day when obesity is rising at an exponential rate, when heart disease is the number one killer among women...

The time has come ladies, to stop the madness and take matters in to our own hands. The time has come for eating right!
We hereby proclaim to stop filling our bodies with artificial toxins and take a stand against the attack on our health!

Join us in our quest, and if you fail, well, one dove chocolate never killed anyone.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Newfound Courage

So I was reading an article in a health magazine about sugar, and I am even more thrilled to be rid of sugar. Turns out, not only does sugar suppress your immune system, harm nearly every organ in your body, and make you gain weight, it causes a ton of other terrible things! It causes depression, anxiety (which we both have mo), heart disease, dimensia, and Alzheimers (there is no "T" in that word for those of you who say "altimers." That drives the English major in me crazy! FYI). And here's the big one, accelerated aging! Ah! Who wants that? So this sugar ban is for both our health and beauty. Two things that cannot be sacrificed for a chocolate chip cookie.

So here's the other interesting thing, sweets like candy and pastries alone comprise 10% of our sugar intake. Holy cow! So you could go off dessert and still consume way too much sugar. This is why in the past 20 years, the average person has gone from eating 20lbs of sugar/year to 156 lbs! No wonder Americans are so unhealthy. This is only one of the awful substances in our foods.

Lastly, we have to look for all the words in the ingredients lists that mean sugar. They are mainly: glucose, fructose, dextrose, corn syrup, and cane sugar. The most common artificial sweeteners are: aspartame, saccharin, acesulfame and sucralose. Here's the crazy thing, these 0 calorie substitutes have proved to disrupt the body in such a way that they actually cause weight gain! Along with ADD, hypoglycemia, and cancer. No biggie. Do you know that my gum and mints even have aspertame? Better just get to brushing more times a day!

So there you have it. I am a vessel of knowledge today. And most importantly, I feel much more motivated and excited about kicking the sugar out of my life. Eventually I will have to have some chocolate and birthday cake, but it will be most always with organic sugar or else a very rare treat. My 2 permanent goals for this month plan is that I will get out of the habit of eating sugar and I will get sugar out of my regular foods that I consume all day.

4 comments:

  1. Check me out, I figured out how to put my own profile on here! Now you will know who is talking! I did this last post by the way. Hopefully it will be less confusing now that I have mastered the blogger settings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found out that frozen pizza has 10g of sugar per slice. It's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From mom (connie): Aren't these the absolutely most adorable bloggers in the blogesphere!? I'm so proud of them. I have been SF for 6 days; question: if your body's balance is more acidic, does this cause sugar gravings? And is it true that fruit can make your body more alkaline? (diseases thrive in an acidic environment). Also, I am trying stevia and am told that the aftertaste is not noticeable after two weeks...I will let you know

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janette, you rock my world. So hard that it is like an earthquake in my realm right now. This was great! I am feeling more and more empassioned about this cause!

    Mom, we are adorable. I totally agree. Good question about the acidic balance causing more sugar cravings. It wouldn't surprise me. I know some crave salt and some crave sugar, there must be a reason why.

    ReplyDelete